John & Marilyn Dimmer
Lifelong Tacoma area residents, the Dimmers have made their home in Lakewood since 1957. John grew up in the Lakewood area, attending Clover Park Schools, and Marilyn grew up in the North End of Tacoma, attending Lowell Elementary School, Mason Middle School and Stadium High School. They both graduated from the University of Washington- John with degrees in Industrial and Mechanical Engineering, and Marilyn with a degree in Elementary Education.
Marilyn's first job was as a third grade teacher at Edison Elementary School in Tacoma. She retired from teaching in 1960 to become a full-time homemaker.
John began his career in the U.S. Navy where he served as an ordinance engineering officer at a naval ammunition depot. Following his military service, John worked in Tacoma as a plant manager of Washington Steel Products. After five years there, he became President of Western Plastics Corporation, where he served from 1960-1980. John continues his professional life as Managing Member of Firs Management, L.L.C., a Tacoma business for personal investments and real estate.
John was a member of the Board of Directors of Puget Sound Bank until its acquisition by Key Corp. Following the acquisition, he served on the Key Corp Board of Directors until his retirement from Key Corp in 2002. He is currently on the boards of Stellar Industrial Supply and Bennett Industries.
John and Marilyn have both been active volunteers in the Tacoma community. John served on the School Board of the Clover Park School District, and they both have had many club and organization affiliations. Community service and philanthropy has always played a part of their lives. They are well known for their generosity of both their time and resources.
They have two children- John B. Dimmer (wife Diane) and Carolyn J. Dimmer, and three grandchildren.